The Middlebury cross country teams both turned in strong performances at the Purple Valley Classic hosted by Williams on Saturday at the Mount Greylock Regional High School course. The eighth-ranked men placed third in the 16-team field with 103 points, while the sixth-ranked Panther women were fourth out of 13 programs with 129 points.
- The men finished behind a pair of top-20 nationally-ranked teams, including sixth-ranked Rensselaer, who won the team title with 41 points. On the women's side, three teams in the top 20 nationally finished ahead of the Panthers, as fourth-ranked MIT claimed the crown with 67 points.
- Each of the five scoring men placed in the top 31 in the 8K field of 209 runners. Leading the pack was sophomore Matt D’Aquila (Wynnewood, Pa.) in 11th place (26:19.2), while junior Henry Fleming (San Rafael, Calif.) finished two spots behind in 13th (26:26.5). Senior Harrison Knowlton (Turner, Maine) was the third Panther to cross the line in 18th (26:32.6).
- Senior Rory Kelly (Winnetka, Ill.) paced the Panther women, taking fifth out of 129 runners in the 6k race with a time of 23:01.2. Next to cross the line was rookie Cassie Kearney (Rockland, Mass.) in 12th with a mark of 23:18.4, while senior Claire Gomba (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) was 27th in 23:46.8.
• Cross Country teams compete in Purple Valley Classic
• Up next: 9/29 – at Paul Short Invitational (hosted by Lehigh), 9/29 at Vermont State Meet (hosted by Northern Vermont-Lyndon)