The Middlebury volleyball team posted a 2-1 record last weekend at the Wheaton Invitational. During Friday’s action, the Panthers defeated Worcester State in three sets. A day later, Middlebury cruised past Farmingdale State in three sets, but dropped their first match of the season in four sets to the host Lyons.
- Senior Sarah Staver (Manhattan Beach, Calif.) paced the balanced Middlebury offense against Worcester State, finishing with 12 kills on 17 attempts and no errors for a .706 hitting percentage. That mark is the second-highest single-match percentage in the program's history. Junior Chellsa Ferdinand (Queens, N.Y.) handed out a match-high 34 assists to go along with seven kills, seven digs and a match-best four service aces.
- Against Farmingdale State, senior Isabel Sessions (Chicago, Ill.) paced the Panthers with 14 kills to go with 12 digs, while Staver had 13 kills on 18 attempts with just one error for a .667 hitting percentage. Sophomore Emma Walsh (Wichita, Kan.) directed Middlebury's attack with 27 assists.
- As a team, the Panthers tallied a .278 hitting percentage over the three sets, while limiting the Rams to a -.051 mark.
- In the final match against Wheaton, Staver tallied 13 kills, while Sessions was also in double figures with 11. Junior Gigi Alper (Mill Valley, Calif.) recorded team-best marks of 23 digs and three service aces. Ferdinand handed out 28 assists to go along with six kills and 15 digs.
- For her efforts, Ferdinand was named to the all-tournament team. She handed out 62 assists to go along with 14 kills and four service aces.
• Volleyball record: 2-1
• Up next: 9/11 at Plymouth State – 6:00 p.m., 9/14 vs. Amherst – 7:00 p.m., 9/15 vs. Trinity – 2:00 p.m.