The third-ranked Middlebury women’s tennis team recorded a 2-0 home record last weekend against top-10 NESCAC foe. The Panthers began action with a 7-2 triumph over eighth-ranked Tufts on Saturday, followed by a 7-2 victory against No. 9 Williams the next day.
- Against Tufts, the Panther doubles duo of juniors Katherine Hughes (Haddonfield, N.J.) and Skylar Schossberger (Eagle, Idaho) posted an 8-0 victory at No. 2, while the third tandem of senior Christina Puccinelli (New York, N.Y.) and junior Maddi Stow (Wilton, Conn.) won 8-3 before the Jumbos won at No. 1.
- In singles action, the Panthers rattled off the first five matches to finish for a 7-1 lead, with each coming in straight sets. Highlighting the run was a 6-0, 6-0 victory at No. 4 from Schossberger, while sophomore Emily Bian (Austin, Texas) posted a 6-3, 6-0 win at the bottom of the lineup.
- Also picking up wins were Boehm at No. 1 (6-2, 6-2), Stow in the fifth position (6-1, 6-4) and Puccinelli (7-6 (2), 6-4) at No. 3.
- Tufts completed the scoring with a three-set win at No. 2 for the final 7-2 score.
- Trailing 1-0 against Williams, Middlebury recorded the final two doubles points. The No. 2 tandem of Hughes and Schossberger won 8-6, while the No. 1 pair of junior Heather Boehm (Miami, Fla.) and sophomore Ann Martin Skelly (Charleston, S.C.) posted an 8-4 win in the top flight.
- In singles play, the Panthers moved ahead 3-1 when Hughes claimed a 6-2, 6-0 triumph at No. 2, before the Ephs pulled to within 3-2 behind a win at No. 4.
- Middlebury was victorious in the final four matches. Puccinelli won 6-1, 6-1 in the third spot, while Boehm picked up her 11th-straight win by scores of 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1. Stow won 1-6, 6-4, 10-3 in the fifth spot, while Bian recorded a 6-4, 6-4 triumph at No. 6.
• Women’s tennis record: 11-1
• Up Next: 4/20 at Bowdoin – 9:30 a.m., 4/20 at Bates – 3:30 p.m.