Posted: Mar 18, 2019
The sixth-ranked Middlebury women’s lacrosse team earned a hard-fought 8-7 road win at No. 12 Wesleyan Saturday afternoon on Smith Field in NESCAC play.
- Sophomore Erin Nicholas (Scarsdale, N.Y.) put her team up 4-2 with an extra player late in the back-and-forth opening half, before the Cardinals netted the final two goals for a 4-4 score at the intermission.
- Wesleyan recorded three-straight goals to go up 7-6, but junior Emily Barnard (Wayland, Mass.) scored and senior Emma McDonagh (Reading, Mass.) drove from the left side and converted a free-position shot for what proved to be the game-winning goal.
- Junior goalie Julia Keith (North Andover, Mass.) made a couple big saves down the stretch, and the Cardinals had the ball trailing by one in the final minute. Senior Sara DiCenso (Glastonbury, Conn.) broke up a pass and picked up the ground ball with 30 seconds remaining, as Middlebury emerged with the win.
- Barnard, senior Jenna McNicholas (Westport, Conn.) and McDonagh each finished with two goals for the Panthers. Sophomore Addy Mitchell (Medfield, Mass.) caused six turnovers and picked up four ground balls, while Keith finished with eight saves in 50 minutes of action.
• Women’s lacrosse record: 3-1
• Up Next: 3/23 at Bowdoin – 12:00 p.m.