The second-ranked Middlebury women’s lacrosse held a 10-7 lead with 6:02 remaining in the contest, but visiting Bates tallied three times before the end of regulation and 1:53 into overtime for an 11-10 NESCAC victory on Saturday.
- Junior Emily Barnard (Wayland, Mass.) scored twice sandwiched around a tally by sophomore Kirsten Murphy (Bridgewater, N.J.) for a 3-0 lead just 4:20 into the contest.
- Bates cut the lead to 3-2 on free-position goals, before junior Kate Zecca (Leesburg, Va.) gave the hosts a 4-2 advantage with 19:10 left, before the Bobcats rattled off three-straight goals for a 5-4 lead.
- The Panthers scored the game’s next five goals, including a pair by Barnard for a 9-5 advantage with 16:57 left.
- Bates rattled off five of the last six goals in regulation, including a score with 10.4 seconds left to send the contest into overtime.
- In the overtime, Bates scored with 1:53 elapsed for the final 11-10 score.
- Barnard finished with a career-best five goals to pace the Panthers, while seniors Sara DiCenso (Glastonbury, Conn.) and Emma McDonagh (Reading, Mass.) each had three assists. Sophomore Erin Nicholas (Scarsdale, N.Y.) won eight draws on the afternoon, while classmate Addy Mitchell (Medfield, Mass.) paced the team with three caused turnovers and six ground balls. Senior Casey O'Neill (Burlington, Vt.) tallied four draws for the Panthers.
- Senior Kate Furber (Manchester, Mass.) played the opening half in goal with seven saves, while junior Julia Keith (North Andover, Mass.) made four saves during the second stanza and overtime.
• Women’s lacrosse record: 0-1
• Up Next: 3/9 vs. Connecticut College – 12:00 p.m., 3/10 vs. Springfield – 1:00 p.m.