Posted: Mar 04, 2019
The Middlebury men’s lacrosse dropped its season opener, falling 17-10 on the road at Bates on Sunday afternoon.
- Trailing 1-0, Middlebury answered with five of the next six goals scored, including three coming off the stick of rookie Tyler Forbes (Jamaica Plain, Mass.) for a 5-3 lead after one quarter.
- Bates outscored Middlebury 11-2 in the middle two quarters for a 13-7 Bobcat lead after 45 minutes.
- The Panthers scored two of the first three goals in the fourth quarter, but still trailed 14-10 with 11:21 left to play. Bates recorded three of the final four tallies to secure the win.
- Forbes paced Middlebury with four goals in his collegiate debut, and sophomore Alderik van der Heyde (San Diego, Calif.) added three of his own. Sophomore Jack Hoelzer (New Canaan, Conn.) ended up with two goals and one assist.
- Senior Charles Midgley (Scarborough, N.Y.) played 45 minutes in the cage and made seven saves on 20 shots, while sophomore Tyler Bass (Atlanta, Ga.) recorded a pair of saves in the fourth quarter.
- Junior Jake Madnick (Glastonbury, Conn.) finished with five ground balls, while classmate Zeke Emerson (Deerfield, Mass.) scooped up four.
• Men’s lacrosse record: 0-1
• Up Next: 3/9 at Connecticut College – 1:00 p.m.